It’s a no-brainer investment!
You’ve probably spent plenty of time thinking about how to invest your money, but how often have you considered investing in the environment? Global warming is a pressing issue, especially in the U.S. Although our country makes up only 4.5% of the world population, we account for over 20% of the planet’s carbon emissions! The good new is every individual has the power to drastically reduce their carbon footprint. By making small lifestyle changes today, we ultimately invest in a greener tomorrow. So treat the earth like the asset it is, and start taking action!
- Install a programmable thermostat so that you the temperature automatically lowers at night and while you are away.
- Replace outdated appliances with energy-efficient models; look for appliances with an Energy Star label.
- Use the microwave instead of the oven or stove – it uses much less energy.
- Use cold water when washing your laundry. And while you’re at, let your clothes air dry.
- Cut down on paper mail by signing up for e-statements.
- Ditch the paper and plastic and shop with reusable cloth bags instead.
- Change the air filters in your heating and cooling systems regularly.
With your car:
- Carpool, rideshare or utilize public transportation.
- Bike or walk to nearby places.
- Invest in a hybrid and use 75% less gas than a traditional vehicle.
- Accelerate and drive slower to reduce fuel consumption and cost.
- Keep your vehicle well serviced to maintain an efficient engine.
- Recycle ink cartridges, computers and other office appliances.
- Print documents double-sided and recycle all paper waste.
- Bring a bag lunch and store your food in reusable containers.
- Turn off and unplug your computer every day.
If a single person can make a difference, think of the impact we all can make! Tell your family and friends about all the ways they can invest in a different kind of green!