Energy-Saving Tips for the Holidays
- Skip the Christmas lights – Instead of using Christmas lights, use decorations that don’t need to be plugged in, like garland and ornaments.
- Turn off your household lights – Walk around periodically to make sure that the lights are not on in empty rooms.
- Don’t drive more than you need to – Try to buy all your gifts in one trip to save money on gas. Online shopping is another way to save on gas; just be cautious of shipping costs!
- Turn down the thermostat – As one of the highest energy expenses in most homes, it is easy to save money by turning down the heat a few degrees. Put on a comfy, stylish sweater or take advantage of the heat from a crowded room when throwing a party.
- Avoid excessive appliance use when cooking and cleaning – Cook multiple dishes at a time, use the toaster oven or microwave when possible and run the dishwasher only when it’s full!